The Alfa Romeo Mito electric steering Column has been completely disassembled, cleaned and examined for wear and breakage. Worn out, missing or non-functioning components have been replaced with new or rebuilt components. It is the functional equivalent of a new part and is virtually indistinguishable from a new part
The Alfa Romeo Mito E.P.S steering system is flawed and prone to either intermittent or total failure.
Common Fault Codes will be;
C1001: Electric Motor Failure
C1002: Steering Column Torque Sensor Failure
Any of these faults will require a replacement column.
These failures can present themselves in the following ways:
1. Motor failure ,sometimes intermittent to begin with but always leads to terminal failure, due to components within the internal control board inside the motor burning out.
2. E.C.U. Failure, the ECU contains several chips which control the both function of the colmn and also the self test and failure system.One or more of these chips can fail and cause the system to shut down, sometimes the ECU can give an eroneous fault code that appears to be a motor failure if scanned, but is actually a fault of the ECU itself. Importantly the ECU also controls the left/right balance of the column and is used to calibrate the output from the torque/position sensor contained in the column, for this reason the ECU should be matched and calibrated to the torque sensor.
3. Torque and position sensor. This is inbuilt into the centre of the column and gives the ECU information on the position of the steering wheel and also how much assistance is required from the motor.The sensor can go out of balance and steering becomes lighter in one direction,also can fail to give signal ,which will cause ECU to shut system down.When a torque sensor is replaced the column needs to be re-calibrated to ensure it is in balance. We believe the only way to do this is for us to supply a complete column with all components tested and calibrated.
No coding or programming will be required, this unit is simply plug and play.
This exchange unit Service is for any of the Alfa Mito electric steering columns listed below as exchange unit available from stock, the common other part numbers that we have identified are listed as a rebuild of your own unit, but you may find that you have a slightly different part number which we will also be able to rebuild.
- 50516920 exchange unit available from stock
- 50517538 exchange unit available from stock
- 50516920 rebuild customers own unit
- 50515538 rebuild customers own unit
- 50520388 rebuild customers own unit
- 50513049 rebuild customers own unit
- 50516921 rebuild customers own unit
- 50517539 rebuild customers own unit
- 50518133 rebuild customers own unit
- 50526335 rebuild customers own unit
However if you do not see your part number listed here, please don't hesitate to contact us on 0117 9602906.
We are constantly updating our database of column part numbers as we find them.